What does everyone think about during Valentine’s Day? Chocolate, candy hearts, flowers, date night, romance and anything to celebrate love. This time of year is dedicated to celebrating anyone that is near and dear to you, even more specifically, your partner. Wouldn’t it be even better if we could experience closeness all year long? As adults, there are so many other priorities that demand our attention daily; work, kids, housework, and the list goes on. Let’s put your partner back on the priority list with these simple tips.
1) Communicate – Most people know that communication is the key to a healthy relationship, but we don’t always practice what we preach. Our daily routines consume us and by the time we get home, we’re tired and just want to veg out in front of the boob tube. I remember when my husband and I were new business owners and parents and one thing that we agreed on (well I’m sure there is more than one), was that we were going to make sure we had dinner together as a family. We agreed to no TV, no cell phones, no distractions, just enjoy our meal together. Almost 14 years later, that tradition has continued. Though it isn’t always easy with our work schedules and kids schedules, I believe it is one key to encouraging open communication.
2) Have hobbies together– Opposites attract, right? The idea that this could be true means we typically have different interests. However, it is important to have things you can enjoy together. Couple’s dancing is one of the perfect hobbies two people can share together. When you are taking dance lessons you are going through the journey of learning something new together. While you are learning to dance you are holding each other, laughing, experiencing frustration, then finally mastery. It is one of the only activities where a couple embraces each other. What could be more romantic and healthy for a couple?
3) Hold each other – This might sound a little weird, but how often do you look your partner square in the eyes and hold each other? Not that often, right? Physical touch is not only a human need to be happy, but one of the best ways to show affection to the one you love. Of course, ballroom dancing is always number 1 on my list of ways to get close and intimate. When you’re learning to dance you are embracing each other and looking into each other eyes. It is a scheduled activity that happens every week. Let’s be honest, when you get caught up in a busy day to day schedule, one of those time slots needs to be reserved for quality time. For example:
- Ballroom dancing
- Holding hands
- Hugging for 20 seconds or longer
- Snuggle on the couch
- Sitting on the same side of the table at a restaurant
- Kiss more often
4) Laughing – More than just brightening up your day, sharing a good laugh can actually improve your health. The sound of laughter draws two people together in ways that trigger healthy physical and emotional changes in the body. As children, we used to laugh hundreds of times a day, but as adults life tends to be more serious and laughter more infrequent. That is what I love about ballroom dancing, it brings the playful kids back out in us. The environment that a couple will experience is one of fun and laughter. I dare you to get through a day at the dance studio and not laugh, it’s impossible. Live, Love, Dance, and Enjoy!
Share this Post