Rumba is one of the sexiest rhythm dances there is. There are various styles of Afro-Cuban rumba music and dance, but all have strong influences from African drumming.
There are so many instruments being played during an authentic Rumba song that can make it hard to figure out what beat you are dancing to. Let’s think of it as this – this bass drum that your are hearing is the rhythm that your feet are following while the other instruments i.e…. what your body is moving to.
This motion is being portrayed by the movement of your hips and upper body. The bass drum will be accented on the 1st and 3rd beats. You want to begin your movement on the first beat, which we often call the slow. As I mention in next week’s blog 10,080 minutes, practice and repetition are the key.
Here are my Top Rumba Songs to Feel the Rumba Rhythm.
- Cuando Me Enamoro by Enrique Iglesias and Juan Luis Guerra
- Wish I Was Your Lover by Enrique Iglesias
- Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye
- Save Room by John Legend
- Boom by Anjulie
- Sexy by The Black Eyed Peas
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Luke Wade & Mia Z
- L-O-V-E by Olivia ong
- I’ve Got To See You Again by Halie Loren
Share this Post